2014年10月16日木曜日

Database Tools


Last class, we had a follow-up session on database tools which we learned on spring term.
I actually did not remember many things from the library orientations because at those time I was dead working for the 18 Retreat.
Therefore, this time was an absorbing session.

We touched 5 different tools, which are Gale Virtual Reference Library, LexisNexis, ProQuest, JSTOR, and ICU Discovery.
I would like to talk about ProQuest that our group presented in the class.
Our task was to find a source on "hate speech" and introduce how we found it.

Firstly, we opened ProQuest and I was surprised how simple it was.
We typed in "hate speech" and there appeared so many results.
We chose one of it and there I could read some parts and we could get some information about hate speech.
Secondly, we found a way to get the MLP(7th edition)'s citation. It was amazing.
Now I am kind of sad because I do not know how to describe but what I was struggling so hard in the Spring?
I thought it that way.
Lastly, we clicked a right up button then we could save the source information to Zotero.
Wow. What I could say was only that.
When writing an essay, what I hated the most is organizing swelling number of sources.
But now, I will be able to do that with a click!
How technologies are simple!

I really want to show this to myself in the previous spring.

2 件のコメント:

  1. Hello there! The follow-up sessions were very useful indeed. Thoses simple clicks really reduces my time on sorting out the works cited page. At least we know how to use it now so that's great! If we knew it from the spring term maybe we couldn't find these tool this thankful as much as now. hehe Have a great weekend Yuri!

    返信削除
  2. Hi Yuri! For me, database I used was only Lexisnexis, so that the session was really helpful for writing essays. I hope we can use them and can write better essays!

    返信削除